Friday, September 28, 2012

Gallery Girls on Bravo. The Best New Show on TV!

Courtesy of: Pablo Taking Pictures.
Have you seen this new show on Bravo called Gallery Girls? Before I go into telling you about the show, let me start off by saying that I am a Bravo junkie! I love many of the shows on Bravo, particularly the Real Housewives franchise, which has been a great success! With that said, I didn't think the Bravo network had come up with any great new show ideas that were worth watching, in a long period of time. Well, the streak seems to have been broken with this new show, Gallery Girls.

The show consists of seven 20 something girls living in New York City,  trying to make it in the art world, and the struggles they encounter.

Two of the girls, Claudia and Chantal, own a gallery/boutique shop which they just opened, called End of Century. Claudia's dream is to make it in the contemporary art scene. Chantal moved to the big city to pursue dance, but due to an unfortunate accident, was unable to continue her dancing career. She then became an art history major.

Angela, is a beautiful girl who comes from a strict Asian household. Both of Angela's parents are doctors and they have made it very clear to Angela, that they wished her to follow in their footsteps. If she couldn't do that, she should at the very least, become an attorney. Angela opposes her parent's idea of traditional success. Angela's passion is photography. She also models from time to time to pay the bills. And Angela unabashedly proclaims herself as boy crazy!

Maggie, another young woman on the show, is also trying to make herself a name in the art world. She is currently interning at Eli Klein studio. Eli Klein studio features Chinese contemporary art.  Maggie  isn't too thrilled about interning at Eli Klein, as Eli makes her work on very menial tasks such as filling the water bowl for his dog, as well as counting dirt pebbles in a few of  his bonsai tree art pieces! There does seem to be some strange sexual tension between Maggie and Eli, but it mostly comes from Eli, as Maggie has a boyfriend she seems quite enamored with.

Working with Maggie, is Liz, another one of Eli's interns who is treated quite different. Liz is the daughter of a major player and artist in the current art world, therefore, she is treated very well by Eli,  and Liz has no problem with that. Regardless of this, Liz and Maggie seem to hit it off and there is no tension or jealousy towards Liz on Maggie's part.

Amy is another member of Gallery Girls. Very much like Liz, Amy's father is a huge name in the art community. Because of her family's wealth, Amy is able to intern gratis and still live a very comfortable life in Manhattan. Amy is a bit of a party girl, and very much enjoys drinking and partying with boys. Her gregarious personality seems to rub some of the other girls the wrong way, even though Amy tries to be very kind to everyone.

Finally, there is Kerri. Kerri recently moved to her first apartment in New York and juggles a paying job as a conceirge for the rich and famous, while interning for an art adviser along with Amy. Kerri's dream is to pick out art for high echelon hotels.

The show follows each of these very different girls through their struggles in the big city, and explores their relationships with each other as well as family and friends.  I just adore this show. Perhaps, I love it because I enjoy living vicariously through these beautiful and ambitious girls.

I also enjoy seeing the city through the eyes of those in the NYC art world. I, myself, have always been a self proclaimed artist, selling my first painting at the age of six. It was a collaboration with my father, and I am still very proud of it! I am also a published author and artist, even though my pieces were published in my college newspaper! Ha! Exposure is exposure, right?

Anyway, back to the show, I am a huge fan and would highly recommend this show, if you are into art, or just a fan of reality t.v. I think Bravo has struck gold with this little gem of a show. And although the cast may change, as these women grow older and move on, I hope that the show will continue with new, up and coming girls. Bravo has a way of making shows evolve into something even better throughout the seasons.This is mostly evidenced in the Real Housewives shows.

 I just love this show and cannot recommend it enough. I think, like me, you will be hooked after watching the first episode. I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up. Good job Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment