Friday, October 5, 2012

Adam Carolla's, Not Taco Bell Material. My current obsession!

Courtesy of: Tiger Girl
I'm currently reading Adam Carolla's book, Not Taco Bell Material. It is so great! I have barely put it down. It was hard to let go long enough to rave about it here! I love it so much.

Ive known of Adam Carolla since he was the host of Loveline with Dr. Drew many years ago. I have also followed him on his visits to Howard Stern. Also, he was in The Man Show with Jimmy Kimmel, which I loved! My favorite part of that show was ,suprisingly, girls on trampolines. It was basically a small segment where they just, in fact, showed girls jumping on trampolines! Ha! How brilliant is that?

Anyhow, I decided that I would start reading my next autobiography, as I have read many. I tried to start reading one, but it just didn't catch my attention at all. So, as I was looking through my IBooks library recently, I found that Adam's book had been uploaded, or is it downloaded? I don't know! Anyway, so, I thought, ehh, what the heck. I'll give it a try. And, boy oh boy, how great it has been!

He starts each chapter with a picture of one of the many homes that he has lived in throughout his life. Many of the homes are not very glamorous, to say the least. But, Adam seems to enjoy sharing his humble beginnings and loves to partake in self deprecating humor. Just my style.

Also, as you begin reading, he quickly warns that he often loves to go on tangents, and tells, in no uncertain terms, that he will often do that throughout the book. He indicates when he is about to go off on such a tangent with a cartoon picture of a tan gentleman named "tan gent." Get it? What a guy! This book is so just my style! His humor is dry and loveable.

Adam is very open about his family and he makes himself so relatable to the reader. The opening chapter talks about his mother, the sad hippie, who thinks white people are bad because of all the things they have done to people of color. Adam discusses his confusion about being made to feel badly about being white and how that felt so strange to him as a child.

He also talks about the broken down lemon, that his mom made him ride in once, on their way to camp with her boyfriend, and how he got carbon monoxide poisoning on his way to the camp site.

The way Adam tells his stories are so descriptive and detailed that it is easy to follow him back to those times, and take you out of reality. And, isn't that a sign of a good book? Anyhow, I haven't finished reading the book yet, but it will be my next review. And, unless the book takes a strange turn for the worse, I can assure you that it will be a raving one! Keep your eyes open for it! Yay!

Picture by: Spykster
Who doesn't love a good book?


No comments:

Post a Comment